AutoIntegrate Testing

Hi Jarmo,
I hope you are well.
I found a small defect in testing on V1.64 test2, running on MacOS 14.0 Sonoma.
When in Extra Processing / Combine starless and stars (with “Screen” selected):
When selecting the “Starless image” by clicking on the “select” button, the text box with “Auto” in it does not update with the name of the starless image that I select.
When I run “Apply” at the top, the process fails as the text box still has “Auto” written in it.

I hope this makes sense?

I love the usability changes that you have made…the new design is so muck easier to use.

Regards,
Garth

Hi Garth,

Good to hear from you! And thanks for finding the problem. After some code reorg I missed this and one other case. I have pushed to a new test3 release to the PI automatic update system.

I glad that you like new interface changes. I also think it is a small step to the right direction.

Regards,
Jarmo

Thanks Jarmo.

I renamed the thread so that we can capture any testing results going forward, instead of creating a new
topic each time.

I haven’t been doing much astro-image processing lately and was so surprised and impressed with all of the great changes that you have made. The quality of images I can produce just from autoIntegrate.js is amazing.

Regards,
Garth

Hi Garth,

Yes, a good idea to have a testing thread. I hope to push out current changes maybe over the weekend if no new problems arrive.

Jarmo

I don’t know if this belongs n the testing thread. However, I am always running the latest test version on the latest version of PI and MAC OS.

The size of the dialogue box (GUI) is too big to fit in the screen. The only way I can access the buttons along the bottom is to hide the MAC application dock and click the full screen button (top left, green button of the GUI.

Clear Skies!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, it definitely belongs to the testing thread. I assume you are using AutoIntegrate v1.64 test4.

This dialog size unfortunately seem to be a constant problem. I have tried to find settings that would be conservative and work with all setups but that seem to be a very difficult task (for me).

When AutoIntegrate starts it prints some information on the process console. Everything after the text “Read window prefix settings” could be useful. Below is output from my startup:

Read window prefix settings
AutoIntegrate: Restored prefixName '' from settings.
AutoIntegrate: Restored prefixArray '[[0,"",11]]' from settings.
AutoIntegrate: Restored global.columnCount '-1' from settings.
AutoIntegrate: Restored lastDir 'D:/Telescopes/TelescopeLive' from settings.
AutoIntegrate: Restored previewSettings '{"use_preview":true,"side_preview_visible":true,"preview_width":500,"preview_height":500,"default_preview_size":false,"use_large_preview":true,"preview_sizes":[["2560x1400",500,500,80,800,800,120],["1920x1040",350,250,100,600,600,120]],"show_histogram":true,"histogram_height":80,"side_preview_width":800,"side_preview_height":800,"side_histogram_height":120}' from settings.
AutoIntegrate: Restored useSingleColumn 'false' from settings.
AutoIntegrate: Restored useMoreTabs'true' from settings.
AutoIntegrate: Restored filesInTab'true' from settings.
======================================================
To enable automatic updates add the following link to 
the PixInsight update repository: 
https://ruuth.xyz/autointegrate/ 
For more information visit the following links:
Web site: https://ruuth.xyz/AutoIntegrateInfo.html
Discussion forums: https://forums.ruuth.xyz
Discord: https://discord.gg/baqMqmKS3N
AutoIntegrate v1.64 test4, PixInsight v1.8.9-2 (1080902)
Screen size 2560x1400, using preview size 500x500, histogram height 80, side preview size 800x800, side histogram height 120, dialog width 1760 height 1039

Could you please tell what output you get when the script starts? Possibly the preview window is too big. Maybe that output gives an idea what goes wrong.

Thanks,
Jarmo

Hi Jarmo,

Here you go…
Read window prefix settings

AutoIntegrate: Restored prefixName ‘’ from settings.

AutoIntegrate: Restored prefixArray ‘[[0,“”,5]]’ from settings.

AutoIntegrate: Restored lastDir ‘/Volumes/Pixinsight/NGC_6888_Crescent_Nebula_July_2023’ from settings.

AutoIntegrate: Restored previewSettings ‘{“use_preview”:true,“side_preview_visible”:false,“use_large_preview”:false,“preview_sizes”:[[“2560x1335”,333,333,66,334,334,66]],“preview_width”:353,“preview_height”:353,“side_preview_width”:334,“side_preview_height”:334,“show_histogram”:true,“histogram_height”:70,“side_histogram_height”:66}’ from settings.

AutoIntegrate: Restored useSingleColumn ‘false’ from settings.

AutoIntegrate: Restored useMoreTabs’false’ from settings.

AutoIntegrate: Restored filesInTab’true’ from settings.

To enable automatic updates add the following link to

the PixInsight update repository:

https://ruuth.xyz/autointegrate/

For more information visit the following links:

Web site: AutoIntegrate Info

Discussion forums: https://forums.ruuth.xyz

Discord: Astro Image Tools

AutoIntegrate v1.64 test4, PixInsight v1.8.9-2 (1080902)

** Warning [156]: /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/AutoIntegrate/AutoIntegrateGUI.js, line 4568: assignment to undeclared variable obj

Screen size 2560x1335, using preview size 333x333, histogram height 66, side preview size 334x334, side histogram height 66, dialog width 1297 height 1424

Clear Skies,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks! I can see that screen height is 1335 but dialog height is 1424. So it definitely does not fit to the screen. The preview height is 333 so am not yet sure why the dialog gets so big.

How does it look on the screen, is the dialog very small compared to the dialog size? Maybe there is some kind automatic scaling happening on the dialog size.

I will try to automatically reduce some component sizes if the dialog size gets bigger than the screen size. I can reduce the preview size and the minimum size for the file list. Not sure if there are other components that I make smaller.

Regards,
Jarmo

In this thread How to use BlurXTerminator with AutoIntegrate? - #68 by Gazz1 Garth explains that MacOS by default always scales the images to 1680 x 1050 on native screen even though the resolution could be a lot higher. That could be one source of problems. But the preview size in your case is 333 x 333 so it should fit even if the screen is scaled to 1680 x 1050.

I have added some (hopefully better) automatic scaling but only when the script is started for the first time. I would not like to mess with any settings already saved as they may be saved by the user.

I had increased the minimum size for the file list. Possibly that could be one source of problems. I have reverted that back to the old setting.

I am a bit out of ideas right now. I have some minor changes that I have pushed out as 1.64 test5. Maybe they help, maybe not.

Jarmo

Hi again,

I downloaded the latest PI release (dated October 19), downloaded the repositories, and started autointegrate script. Now, when set to “full screen” using the green Apple OS button on the upper left hand corner, all AutoIntegrate functions are visible above the Apple Dock. This makes things a lot easier!!

Clear Skies,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Great to hear that there is a easy fix to the problem.

Regards,
Jarmo

Hi Jarmo,
I hope that you are well.
I think I may have discovered a small issue in Mac testing for V1.65 test2.

I haven’t been very active with astro-processing lately.
I just downloaded V1.65 test2. So many fantastic changes…really amazing work.

I just noticed a potential bug with Graxpert.
I have set the path in autoIntegrate, saved using the tools icon, and when I run ABE in “Extra processing” it gives an error “GraXpert path does not exist: /Applications/GraXpert.app Operation failed!”
I can confirm that GraXpert is located in the Applications directory.

Hi Garth,

Great that you have tried the version on GitHub! I do not have a Mac so it is really good to get these error reports early

This error comes from a check File.exists(graxpert-path). If that call reports that the file does not exist I post an error to avoid processing further.

Now it looks like there is a problem with that. I have changed the fatal error to a message that is posted to the console and log file but it will not stop processing.

It would be really interesting to hear if that helps and the call to GraXpert actually works on Mac too.

Regards,
Jarmo

Hi Jarmo,

I tried running again…I think it has run GraXpert but I’m not sure because it mentions “ABE, degree 4…” in the script. This is from the console:

Regards,
Garth

Hi Garth,

To me it looks like it did run GraXpert. In Windows you see GraXpert splash screen when it is processing. Not sure if there is one in Mac.

I had not yet fixed all messages so it was still talking with ABE terms. I have tried to fix those. ABE is still mentioned with GraXpert but in that case it means Astronomical Background Extraction :slight_smile:

Regards,
Jarmo

1 Like

Hi Jarmo,
I can’t see a splash screen on my Mac but I am working on my laptop as I am on the train.

I can confirm that autoIntegrate is calling GraXpert. I processed an image with GraXpert on and then with it off (i.e. using Pixinsight ABE). The blueish stars on top RHS provide a useful reference point.
Results below:
Original:

GraXpert:

ABE:

There is a clear difference between all 3 images.
It looks like ABE has done a better job in this case but I have seen some incredible results from GraXpert.

Thanks for your help Jarmo.
Regards,
Garth

Hi Garth,

Thanks for confirming that GraXpert is called on Mac too. I hope the messages are now better too.

The only mode in GraXpert that can be used when calling from a command line is the the fully automatic AI mode. I just used it on NGC 1316 and I think it worked very well. I used GraXpert on channel images. But I know that sometimes the AI mode may not produce the best results. Anyway nice to have one more option that may help with difficult cases.

Regards,
Jarmo

1 Like

In the latest test version references to ABE are replaced with a term gradient correction expect where actual ABE tool is in question. Term gradient correction should me more future proof if/when more tools can be supported (like upcoming PixInsight Multiscale Gradient Correction). Output image extensions also use GC instead of ABE.

Jarmo

Hi Jarmo,
Just a quick message - BlurXterminator 2.0 has been released.
It has a new AI4 database.
BXT 2 with AI 4 no longer allows “Correct First” - see bottom of this page: BlurXTerminator 2.0/AI4 Release – RC Astro

Hi Garth,

Thanks for the note! I am planning for 1.65.2 update so I will include required changes in that.

Regards,
Jarmo

1 Like